APPLE CRUMBLE CAKE WITH VEGAN OAT CREAM
I didn’t know what ” Apple crumble ” was until I came to the UK. It seemed everyone was making a version of it…. Oat or biscuit crumbles, with extra fruit, with cream, custard or ice cream!! Honestly, on a cold Autumnal day I just want a warm Apple cake with oat cream on top. It’s the perfect treat to keep my day running.
Here is my version, packed with healthy and high-protein ingredients. Enjoy!
APPLE CRUMB CAKE
Serve: 10 – 12 serves | Time: 40-50 minutes | Level: Medium
For the crumble
1/4 cup (50 gm) organic coconut sugar
1/3 cup (60 gm) light brown organic coconut sugar or agave syrup.
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (110 gm) unsalted organic butter, melted
1 1/3 (160 gm) cups all-purpose flour or buckwheat flour (Gluten Free)
For the cake
1/2 cup (110 gm) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 (150 gm) cup coconut organic coconut sugar or agave syrup
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of boiled cider (optional)
1 cup (240 gm) of no sugar added applesauce
1 1/4 (155 gm) cups all-purpose flour or buckwheat ( gluten free)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon himalaya salt
1 cup (240 gm) of small diced apples (about 1 granny smith)
To prepare the crumble
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Stir in the melted butter to combine. Add the flour and stir until just combined.
- Set aside.
To prepare the cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring to combine. Add the vanilla, cider, and applesauce. Beat to combine. In a separate bowl, toss together the dry ingredients and then add to the bowl of the stand mixer. Stir until just combined and then gently fold in the chopped apple.
- Pour your wet cake mix in to your cake tin (loose bottom or sprung). Then top with your crumble mix, sprinkling all over the top of your mix. t
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes (keep an eye on it, fan ovens may cook it quicker), or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack for at least 10 minutes before removing the sides of the springform pan. The cake can be eaten warm or at room temperature with an oat milk on top.
Let me know when you make it and remenber to share my recipes on social media. Together we will make a better and healthy world.